Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I found a new bug

Bugs are a part of life in Honduras, it is just about impossible to keep them out of our house. So I take all the different kinds of bugs in stride from the tarantulas to the shiny beetles to the i don't know what they are's. One day earlier this summer I got to see a bug I had never seen before, only thing was it was in the back of a patient at the clinic. Javier looked at it and began to tell me that it was called a torsolo, and it was caused by a fly that lays it larvae in living to tissue, and after a while worms begin to grow. This normally happens in cows, not people. The only treatment for this is to get the worm out along with the infected tissue. So Javier opened up the place and begin to squeeze and dig. A huge burst of pus sprang forth from the abcess. After several minutes of digging and squeezing the worm was located, in fact three worms were located. I have seen this two more times since then, both times located on the head of little girls. This is a very interested thing to see, and enjoyed getting to learn about something I would probably not get to see at home.
Drew

No comments: