Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Ranch


Let's take it easy today, Dylan. Just what I was thinking, Paul.

The following three hours of my life were spent in mild concern that the fates were tickling my string with their morbid scissors. Dylan took Natosha and me straight up the side of one of the mountains on the ranch, the easiest path he could find to the ridge with the view. I spent the first fifteen minutes offering my hand to Natosha, more in gesture of politeness than any need of hers to be helped up the hill. Before long I learned that she was the last person I would be of any use to in that situation. Aside from the terrific view once we reached the ridge, the highlight of the ascent was finding a yellow and black spider at least half the size of my face. Years of fear and loathing of spiders has turned them into a romantic, however twisted obsession, so a picture was a must. I will try to include one later. When we finally reached the top I felt immense relief at the sign of grazing land and a barb wire fence. Maybe there was a road leading up here afterall!

Fabulous view, yada yada yada, we pretty much went down the only way that could have been more difficult and still possible without climbing equipment. I lagged and Dylan and Natosha were patient with me, really patient. They had to coach me through a few hairy spots, so deemed by Dylan, and waited while I slid, millimeter by precious millimeter, down the hill to my next ostensibly solid foothold. When we finally reached the bottom and I was fairly sure the mountain could have no revenge upon me I turned around and made a private and dirty gesture, defiant in my victory over a large heap of rock, dirt, plants, and bugs. Needless to say, I am not about to give the mountain another chance.

Pab

No comments: