Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Just for the taste of it

People in the States have learned not to accept things they don't like. Some people don't like the idea of God, and there are many schools of thought that are easy to convince oneself are legit that placate the atheistic desire. Others want expensive things and use credit cards and loans to buy what they can't afford. People get sick and expect not to die. It is a twisted thing that the allure of medicine should remove so much peace about death and other irreversible changes. Why is it that something that could be so good can cause so much pain? Well, that is a classically immature question. Of course when there is more that can be gained there is more risk of the feeling of loss. I have not spoken with a Honduran about losing a member of their family too soon, I don't know how a Honduran grieves or their cultural attitudes about death and medicine. This thought, actually, is only related to Honduras in that the contrast between Honduran and American medicine inspired it. Is it easier to accept death when you don't have the notion that everything is treatable? Is it to accept things as they are when you are not obsessed with making the world in your own image? Is it always right to keep someone alive?

OK this is getting a little heavy. Really, I just think it's funny how stressed I can get because things are not as I want them. Even here in the poorest nation in Central America I hold on to the notion that not getting my way is some blow to my wellbeing. I hope this experience can help me to grow up a little and mellow out about my life. Matthew 6:25; Hopefully I can learn to let go of the notion that I am in control and learn to simply make decisions as I believe God would have me make them.

Thanks for being patient enough to read through my intelligunk. I leave you with a funny image: Hippos on bikes licking drippy ice cream cones.

Pab

No comments: