Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Joy of the Clinic

Las Pitas is quite an interesting place. It's about an hour and half drive from the Mission office in Choluteca in the upwards direction (as in on a mountain). It is here that I go twice a week to learn all about clinic organization, procedures, and a variety of other things that I don't often expect to encounter. I'm amazed with Javier, our doctor, and how he handles patients. He is always straightforward and let's them know when things need to change. I also find it interesting to see how much he really does care about the people of the area and that he's taken this job in order to make sure that they get medical attention. There are over 2,000 patients on file at the clinic, and it is wonderful to think that so many have been helped by this small clinic in a mountain village. Most importantly, the clinic brings attention to the church. Every Wednesday, worship services are held at the clinic, and there are always morning devotionals with the patients. It just makes me happy to see my two favorite interests, evangelism and medicine, working in conjuction to truly bring glory to God.

-Tristan McPherson

No comments: