Wednesday, July 11, 2007

TIH baby

So, I was expecting something more from the airport in Tegus, and was a pleasantly surprised that I only had to haul my four bags across a convenience store sized parking lot to get off airport grounds and to the rental company when the Brown's truck was parked. Directly across the street from Honduras's international port is a gigantic Burger King and the rest of a city block packed with insane Honduran traffic.

Holy moly, I was pretty sure I was going to die with Jarrod started driving his Fordbeast through the capital. Dude is nuts. After getting used to it, though, I realized he is probably one of the safest drivers in Honduras. Aggresive driving is the best way to ensure you won't be rear ended.

First meal was at a TGI Fridays where my suspicions were confirmed; I am indeed expected to be on good behavior. This, of course, in understandable, being missionaries, and probably the only gringos most of the Hondurans we meet are ever going to get to know. There are some strict customs here and ideas regarding how a christian ought to act. Interesting to feel so scrutinized in a nation that I thought did not know much about christianity besides roman catholicism, which I had always regarded as being far less strict than other christian strains.

Anyhow, it wasn't long before I learned the phrase "TIH," this is Honduras. Actually, it is tributary to the movie "Blood Diamond," and used to explain the trappings of the third world that we encounter. Electricity fails again, TIH. No water, TIH. Four o'clock bus come's at six thirty, TIH. Honduras takes a lot of getting used to for an impatient chap like me.

Pab

No comments: