Friday, June 6, 2008

Adventures with the interns!

It's my second week here and I did medical work all this week. I don't know a lot of spanish, but we had a medical brigade here this week and I was able to work with a Spanish teacher from the states to take patient histories. Let me just say that my Spanish dramatically improved!! I think the coolest thing that happened to me was when I stepped out of my comfort zone and went over to talk with a man. He was trying to teach me the spanish alphabet, and then we just started talking. He told me about how he has a car for work, and I told him about what I liked to do in the states. It was my first coversation in spanish and I loved it.
Then when it was time to leave on Tuesday, it started pouring rain. The only problem was that we had to cross a river twice to get to the intern house. We got to the river and Chad said that we couldn't cross it, so the interns had to walk home. This was quite the adventure since the main trail that led to the house was flooded we had to find our own way in the rain. It was a blast and teh scenery was spectactular. I really think that it was a blessing that we couldn't drive home, because instead we got to trek through the woods and by a waterfall for about an hour. Of course, then we got to our house and it was flooded, so yet another adventure began when we began to sweep the water out with brooms. Life is never dull on the ranch or at the clinic!!
-Katie

No comments: