Monday, June 9, 2008

Week 2: Introduction to Medicine

I never posted my blog for last week so I'm going to take care of it now.  Last week we finally got to get out of the house and get started working.  On Monday, Kyle, Katie, and I headed up to the clinic with Javier and the crew.  Javier said it was a perfect day because there were so many different types of patients that we would see.  There was one patient that I possibly could have gone without seeing.  When the blood started flowing, the room started spinning and I knew I had to leave the room.  Other than that, it was a great day and a great learning experience.  On Tuesday, we worked with the Mayfair group at the village outside of the ranch.  Our first patient was an American that somehow busted his head open.  After he got sewed up, we started seeing the Honduran patients.  I was supposed to educate the patients on how to take their medicine.  It was pretty difficult being that my Espanol is still limited but I managed.  Our efforts were brought to a halt when it began to pour rain so we had to pack up and leave.  We made it to the river and realized we were going to have to hike if we wanted to see the house.  We made it back about an hour later but I think that the other interns would agree when I say that it was one of the best days.  On Wednesday, we pretty much did the same thing except we were at the coffee plantation.  When Thursday rolled around, I headed to San Marcos for the nutrition program with Javier.  It was moving to see the work that had been done with the kids and the progress they were making.  That afternoon we went to the children's ward with Meredith.  It was very different from any hospital I have ever been to in the states.  I felt like I was in a hospital that would have been used back in the 50s.  On Friday, we got to hang out with a 90 year old guy planting coffee at the Posada.  It was quite the workout walking up and down the side of the mountain in the slick mud.  We finished and headed down to the casa only to survive another flood shortly after we got there.  It wasn't the first and probably won't be the last either.  Well that pretty much sums up the events of last week.  Being here is still awesome and only getting better everyday.  I look forward to the rest of the time here.
Loren

2 comments:

Mark in Nashville said...

Thanks for posting. There are future interns that are very interested in reading what your work and daily life in Honduras is like.

Mark

redhotnana said...

I enjoyed reading your post--I was with the Mayfair group (one of the cooks), and got a kick out of reading about the American with the busted head--that was Joey! Keep up the good work!