Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Wee Little Mouse

Well once again, I've had an exciting week.  I started off at the clinic on Monday where I gave my first injection ever.  I was a little nervous at first because I've often heard of people "jabbing the syringe" or hitting the bone but I'm happy to say that wasn't the case for me.  On the first one, Lexi guided my hand as I inserted the butterfly into an elderly woman that had heart failure.  The second one, I gave without assistance to a little boy.  He cried for about five seconds and thats all.  I gained a new appreciation for medicine and what it includes when Javier told us that a 25 day old baby with pneumonia was our patient and it was our job to take care of him until we could get him to the hospital.  We had to give him breathing treatments and rehydration salts until we could get him down the mountain and to a hospital.  That was about all that happened on Monday.  When Tuesday rolled around, we headed out to Marcovia for the nutrition program.  Once again, we got to paint the little kids' hands blue to get a handprint.  Javier examined each patient to see if they were ill or not and then we gave them medicine and sent them on their way with their food for two weeks.  Tuesday night's Spanish class was interesting finally and I learned something.  I don't know if it was because the people around me helped out or not but nonetheless it happened.  Now you might be wondering why the title of this blog is "The Wee Little Mouse" so now I'm going to tell you.  Wednesday is the day that Kyle, Katie, and I go to one of the area schools.  We found out that Shelly was going to Monjaras and decided to tag along.  We were in the office gathering up some supplies when Shelly decided to open up a box to find some black yarn.  When she did, a little mouse decided to pop up out of the box as well.  Shelly's reaction is hard to describe but to the three of us it was hilarious.  At the school, we entertained them by teaching them some of our American games.  Today, we had the nutrition program and Monjaras and at Cedena.  It was pretty much the same as the rest of the days, only way hotter.  On the way back we stopped at the beach for a picture or two and then came into town to eat Chinese food...mmm mmm good.  We're closing out the week with a nice little adventure to the ruins of Copan.  It's going to be a pretty "wicked" sweet bus ride that last about ten hours.  Well it's time to start packing so for now, adios amigos.

Loren

No comments: