Sunday, July 13, 2008

I am already missing Honduras

Two weeks to go, and I am already missing this place.
I love the country´s beauty, the simplicity of life, and the culture.
The Honduran culture is still amazing to me, for they are a strikingly simple and happy people. I´ll give you an example concerning their giving and considerate attitude. Holman once offered to share his dinner with me because he saw that I had none for the time being. Now you may be thinking that any decent American would do the same. Well, what if the stakes were raised to where that American goes without food on several occasions and that night the food he recieves is, fortunately for him, incredibly delicious? And I can always get my food later. I never go forcibly without food; he knows this. Would you, being that American, want to share your food happily, without grudge, or anything negative in your attitude as you do so?

Another classic example of Honduran hospitality is making sure everyone has a chair to sit down on. Over the course of my stay, several times I have had Hondurans, male and female, seek out a chair for me so I do not have to stand. On this same subject, two nights ago we had movie night with about ten orphans from the refudge on the ranch. Everyone had a chair but me. The three American guys noticed but started the movie and proceeded with everyone to watch it. (This is not to say that I am incapable of finding my own chair, but I could not help thinking that if there had been Honduran men in the room, they would have most assuredly sought out a chair for me.)

Another example of the goodness of the Honduran culture is how often everyone smiles at you, greets you, and alknowledges you IN COMPARISON to Americans, especially or mostly in comparison to western states Americans. If you were to see how often people can actually smile and how happy they can be, you´d see what America´s missing.

Other example of the contrast between our two cultures are buzzing about in my head right now. One includes a Honduran looking for a lost article for me when it was not his worry at all. Another includes a stanger, a young Honduran woman, reaching out her hand and touching my shoulder, in comfort, as she passed, because she noticed I was seemingly sad. One Honduran worker on the ranch asked me if I was feeling sad, and said he hoped I would get to feeling better. (Note that I do not seek to get these displays of feelings and concern. Nor do I expect I would get much concern if I wanted it back in the West.) As a whole, they are very considerate people. I gurarantee you there are indeed differences. It´s indisputable.

Reply to this post. I would love know what you´ll think.

Heather

1 comment:

Trudy said...

Heather,
I think you are seeing among the Honduran people what is missing from the secular culture of the United States. Many of us have strayed from our Christian roots and principles and no longer keep the two greatest commandments: "Love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul and mind and Love your neighbor as yourself. For on these hang all of the law and the prophets." Hopefully and prayerfully, your generation will be the ones to help turn our country back to what God intended it to be. I suggest that you check out the website of Alex and Brett Harris: www.TheRebelution.com
Grace & peace--Haley's mom