Friday, July 18, 2008

No Mas Trabaja

Well this was the last week of work for the interns here in Honduras.  I don't think I could've asked for a better week.  There were several good things that took place that I enjoyed.  Like every other week I began on Monday with Javier at the clinic.  Its always a joy to be able to work with him and learn what you can.  We actually got to watch him perform a minor surgery and remove a cyst from a woman's arm.  It was awesome to be able to see the procedure performed.  On Tuesday, Kyle and I had the privilege of handing out 4300 pounds of fertilizer to the families of Las Pitas to apply to their corn.  It was apparent that the families were very appreciative.  On Wednesday, I finally got to do something I had wanted to do the entire summer.  I got to work with the carpenter on a project the entire day.  We made a picture frame to give to our Spanish teacher with our picture as a farewell gift from the interns.  After Chad saw the frame, he asked us to make him one and we ended up making three during the day.  On Thursday, I got to spend my last day with Javier doing the medical programs.  We drove into the mountains at Duyure and walked on the mountainside from house to house to see the patients.  When we finished on the mountain, we went back down into Duyure to see the rest of the patients.  The last house we went to was very moving.  The entire house was no bigger than the size of my bedroom.  At that moment I realized how fortunate I truly am.  Finally on Thursday night, we had our last Spanish class.  It was a relief to be done.  As I wrap things up, I have enjoyed the work that we were able to do while down here.  Here are a just a few things that I was able to do: learn to check blood pressure, give shots, count and distribute medication, work with doctors form Honduras and America, do road work, carpentry, plant coffee, plant king grass, ride horses, and several other things along the way.  It's been a great summer!
Loren

No comments: