Sunday, July 6, 2008

Medical Brigade on Steroids

This week was the medical brigade in Duyure. We were stacked with doctors, a p.a., two n.p., rn´s, an optometrist, dentist, translators and many others. We saw around 200-300 patients a day. It was a good experience and very interesting to see the difference between the practices of US medicine and Honduran medicine. I got a little bogged down around Tuesday wondering if what we were doing was really doing any good for the people. Because say a person would come in with high blood pressure and we can supply a month worth of medicine but what are they going to do the rest of the time? So I asked Meredith about it and she totally helped me see the big picture and that is that we are showing them love. Showing them that we are spending time to take care of them and having faith God will provide the rest and for the moment we are the provisions God is supplying. Such a simple but pivotal moment. I was pumped to express this care and concern for the people there after. Not to mention I got to give two joint injections, pull a tooth (i just happened to be standing at the right place at the right time), see a lot of interesting things, translate roughly a few times for the first time (mind you the very first thing I said was ¨When you pee does it itch?¨hey I was nervous), and meet some awesome awesome people ( hey mom-I even landed a place to stay in Dickson on my way to Harding-sleepover!!). Overall-excellent. I even got to hear a woman tell us she hasn´t...defecated in three years. Turns out it´s only been a week, but I wasn´t translating on that one.
Yesterday was AWESOME. We rode horses in the morning and it was one of the most perfect days these eyes have witnessed. Blue skies for sure. Afterwards we went to what we thought was Tres Pilas..turns out it wasn´t, but it was a huge waterfall that we got to swim in!! It was exciting. And I loved seeing how excited Olman was...what a good guy. Welp-time for church! God bless!
Jaclyn

1 comment:

Janet said...

OH Jackie, when I saw the heading Medical Brigade on Steroids I knew it was your handiwork. You have the best sense of humor. I am glad that you are helping the people there, getting to meet other christian people from the states, and learning from all of your experiences. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures when you get home. Love you so much, Mom.