Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Sooooo much Spanish!

Saludos Amigos,
I am going to begin this email giving you guys an ideas as to what I have been doing this week- something that is begining to wear me thin. It begins in the following paragraph.

Estoy bien y ocupada con varias actividades. Para esta semana, soy interprete para los americanos quien son doctores y enfermeros. A veces, no es facil, porque los hodureƱos usan palabras nuevas o palabras con que no estoy familiar.

Okay, so anyway, today I mainly focused on....what´s that you say? I need to translate the above sentences? Oh yeah, that´s right. It´s just...I´ve been doing a lot of that lately. But okay, here´s the translation: I am well and busy with several activities. This week, I am acting as an interpreter for the americans who are doctors and nurses. Sometimes, it is not easy because the Hondurans use new words or words I am unfamiliar with.

Yeah, it´s been great. Today, I was beat, so exhausted from interpreting, I thought my brain would burst or something. It was though I could not bare to try to hear and understand anymore Spanish. So, what do I do. I slip somewhat out of range and head for the bench are where two older Honduran men were waiting to see the eye doctor. ¨Can I sit here beside you, please?¨ I asked one of the elderly men in Spanish. ¨Si,¨ he replied enthusiastically, ¨I would be so very proud to have you sitting next to me,¨ he added with delight. I looked at him disbelievingly, wondering if I had heard him right. Then he stretched a little and added in Spanish, ¨Oh si, I am satified now¨. I was so tired and could barely believe my ears. My weary ears were hearing him correctly- this 65- year old man was lightly hitting on me. I actually started to blush. Then Sarah came over and made things worse. She said to him, ¨Oh si, she is very beautiful, no?¨ and the man relplied without delay, ¨Yes, very pretty¨. Luckly in that moment, I was called over to interpret more and so had to leave. Just kidding, I really did enjoy the man. The guy was refreshing and adorable.

The rest of the day with the Hondurans went well. I really enjoyed helping them find the right glasses and helping the Americans to determine whether or not the had cataracts or were near-sighted or far-sighted or whatever the problem was.

Gotta go.

Heather

We are treating several upon several upon several Hondurans with many different enfermedades. Por example, there are personas con problems con sus dientes y eyes y ears y heart y knees y mucho mas problemas. It makes for a very long day! I am constantly interpreting, which of course involves listening, comprehending, and speaking in turn to them (the Hondurans, in this case).

No comments: