Thursday, July 10, 2008

Kyle Week 5.2

There is a cardinal rule that must always be followed at a pool.  Well two I guess.  Don't pee in the pool, and as we have all heard preached from lifeguard stands for our entire lives, NO RUNNING!
Not so much here in Honduras.  
On Saturday, Jaclyn, Haley, Olman and I joined the refuge kids at the pool at Las Tekas park.  It was an awesome day and I have the sunburn to prove it.  
But back to the running.  
They didn't just run around the pool, they sprinted, played tag, flung themselves over the wet concrete around corners, up stairs and ultimately on a painted concrete ledge that stood over an unfenced ten foot drop to the yard below.  My heart never left my throat.  And it wasn't just the kids, it was the Tias, their driver, Olman, and ultimately even the gringos joined in.  God smiled upon us that day.  No one died.  No one even got hurt.  Miracles still happen.  
The pool was only five feet deep, which comforted me that no one would drown, that is until Giovanni tried to prove me wrong.  We had just walked in and I was in the water watching two of the older boys doggy-paddle back to the edge of the pool.  The question, "Can Honduras swim?" flashed into my mind, but only briefly before all eyes in the pool were upon the screaming Tia leaping fully clothed into the middle of the pool to snatch a smiling Giovanni off the bottom.  In all of the commotion of people jumping into the water, Giovanni, who is maybe four years old, had sunk to the bottom and was innocently holding his nose waiting for someone to come and rescue him.  Who needs to be able to swim to enjoy the pool?  
We had lots of fun splashing, teaching kids how to swim and jumping off the edge.  At one point Jaclyn and I were tossing kids into the water, one of us holding by the ankles the other by the wrists.  That lasted until we put a kid five feet in the air with absolutely no spin so that he belly-flopped with a sickening smack into the water.  No one wanted to be tossed after that.  Go figure.  
I had so much fun, I can't even tell you.  Best Saturday I've had yet.  

No comments: